What's it like to own an English Bulldog

English Bulldogs are quite big comparing it to the dogs that we had before. Owning one requires responsibility and maintenance at the same time. When we picked up Bella (now our family dog) I remembered she was around 6 months old or so and is quite heavy and full of energy when we saw her, yet she's quiet and shy at the same time.
Just a  year ago, our family dog was born and little did I know she really exists. I was actually skeptical about it before, because my brother keeps on sharing with us that he wants a dog or he'll have a dog in time last December 2019, Bella was born January 2020. There was no picture at all till May 2020.

She was supposed to fly to the US but lockdown happened and so she has to stay a bit longer because back then the community quarantine was still very strict and doesn't let people travel around that much to other cities.

When General Community Quarantine happened, that's when I got her from the breeder, around July 2020 and our family decided that she'll stay here for a few months till flights are already available.

First Few Weeks
It has been quite some time since I've lived on my own and having someone with me at home is another adjustment. At first, it was quite overwhelming considering the fact that we hadn't have any family dog for the past 5 yrs.

We had quite a number of pets growing up till our last pet died year 2015. I had to make time to spend with her and give her attention and have strict rule of time for her breakfast/ dinner and play time.
Maintenance
Before I got Bella, she just recently had an eye surgery, right after I got her- her eyes were still red and few weeks after that she started to develop some skin rashes and we were quite alarmed about it and head over to our nearest vet and that's when her medication started.

She also got her anti-rabbies, her monthly does of heartgard and nexgard. We were also prescribed to use a medicated shampoo and a bunch of antibiotics that's supposed to be taken at a certain time and dose. There was also an infection that occurred in her ears that we had to also buy ear droplets for her.

Overall, she'll have to take her maintenance medicine now because of her skin condition.

Playing with Bella
English Bulldogs are very energetic at the same time they can be lazy. But every after meal, and Bella gets fueled with loads of energy she will start to get her toys and bring it to me and we'll play together. Her favorite is when we play tug of war and fetch. 

But most of the time her toys seems to be disposable as time goes by because of how strong her teeth are and they're the type of breed who'll chew aggressively on a toy they really love. 

Plus, they may look scary and intimidating but it's the complete opposite, they are very sweet and playful

Aghh Moments
Since English Bulldogs have such strong teeth and have the need to have their fur mom or dad's attention most of the time... when not given enough attention they tend to chew on furniture and boxes that are just right around the corner when they get bored will chew and bite on it while their owner is not around.

Walking with an English Bulldog
Strolling around our village together with Bella can quite get attention from people that we pass by. Most of their question lies around "Is that a pitbull?" / "Is she pregnant?" / "How old is she?" / "What's her name?"/ "Does she bite?"/ "She's huge!!"/ but then it also made some people's day and I also had interaction with my neighbors that I've never talked to ever. Bella gained friends along the way as well.

We walk around 15-30 minutes before dinner time and sometimes I have to drag her because we're still around 1000m away from our house and she's just chooses to sit or still interact with other dogs, despite panting already from walking.

English Bulldog Behavior
As I've said earlier, they can be all lazy or needy with attention that's 50-50 for sure. But when no one's at home, she's either playing with the furniture or sleeping all day when she's not asking for love and attention.

Routine
Our routine usually goes like: (Wake up - Feed Bella - Clean - Eat my own food - Rest - Play with Bella - Bella sleeps while I do my own thing - We go on a walk - Dinner time for Bella - Dinner time for me - Clean) and some play time again then bedtime for the both of us.


What owning an English Bulldog makes us feel
Owning an English bulldog or any other dog feels good, when I feel stressed I just hug Bella or when I feel happy I celebrate with her. I like taking care of our family dog even though it can be stressful at times whenever she destroys something but I just can't resist and will and always brush it off though still teaching her a lesson and we're okay again. I like sharing things with her and telling her stories and making her happy as well and not only treats her as a best friend or family dog but I treat her as my little sister.


Bella's 1st Birthday/ Barkday
Just want to share Bella blowing her Birthday cake last January 28. 2021 for her 1st Barkday/ Birthday.

Follow Bella on Instagram: @bella_ _englishbulldog for more updates!
https://www.instagram.com/bella__englishbulldog/

Comments

Popular Posts