Not A Green Thumb - But I Grew Some Flowers!

 


I remember when I was in grade school, we have this gardening subject to which growing up I thought was really amazing and to my surprise it wasn't offered in other schools.  
We would bring seeds to school and grow them there. I grew a plant that came from a mongo seed. I am actually quite proud of it till I reached my teenage years only to find out that it will eventually grow anyway, but what sets people who have green thumb apart from how I grew my plant is how they constantly care for theirs. It does take a lot of time, effort and definitely knowledge in growing a plant.

I, myself is clueless but would really want to try. That's why, one day I told my Mom how awesome it would be if we had roses growing in our garden to which she replied "that plant over there is actually a rose, you just have to water it" and I did. Shortly after some weeks it started growing and I was ecstatic.

I posted the red roses that I grew on social media and it garnered attention from friends which also resulted to having to deal with the question after the compliment which sounds like this "Those are beautiful! You plant too?" or  "are you a green thumb?" which meant of a person who is gifted with hands that can grow plants and not easily die on them, basically.

Thinking about it, investing your time on a plant is different. Because it varies with weather, how you handle it, the soil you're gonna be using, how you're gonna cut it and plant it once again.

Even if I don't plant them myself, the sense of having something to take care of and water everyday can make me feel a but of fulfillment in a way. 

When my Dad passed away, he left a plant that used to grow lemons. He used to plant red chilis, eggplant and more. But the only thing that was left of me are the lemons. To which, eventually died as well. Left me with a butterfly that died with it as well. I kept it.

Even then when were just little kids, it's crazy that in times that I don't volunteer to sweep the leaves off the garden (which I really like doing), I roam around with my big watering can and go back and forth and give every plant, flowers and trees that I can see the water that it needs.


My parents love plants, I do too. I love watering plants. But I don't think my fragile heart (or ego maybe) wouldn't be able to handle a plant's life from it's early stages and die on me. 

When I started buying flowers after my Dad passed away, I have decided to keep a small batch and put them on a journal or a book. I do love, collecting them in that way. That's why when my red roses bloomed, whenever. I pick them right before they wither.
I used to think that, the idea of having a green thumb is purely a myth. That if you just really take care of a plant and have enough knowledge to know how to handle it, it will eventually grow. That it's just a way for people who grow plants make them special and that it's a gift. I've never tried replanting a plant nor harvesting some vegetables from something I grew all by myself. But wait, maybe I did replanted once or twice in my life but then again that was probably back in grade school. 

I saw my professor does it (being a plantito), and I am really amazed with how he takes care of it and when he takes a video of it, he explains each and every plant very well. Which I think, I can't do and it is okay. Being a green thumb may or may not be a gift that either you have it in you or you don't.

Maybe that could also be the reason why I couldn't be able to jump to the trend in planting way back early pandemic as well. Not that I want to join every trend ever, I had interest but I also feared that I'll just kill the plant and my efforts will just go to waste.

But, what I do think is trying is still the best option for me and if given a chance in the future to grow a plant, a flower or a tree and be successful to it, I would be very grateful and being discouraged by the society that one is not a green thumb by the mere fact of not being able to grow a plant of 1, 2 , 3 or more directly says that you aren't won't make you less of what you are in that sense. You will only fail if you don't try.

If you do have your own take on this as well, please do let me know if "my myth" is debunked and that anyone can plant if they want to, and if you have any other opinions I would love to read them!




Comments

Popular Posts