How I Started My Donut Business From Home

There was a time when everyone were busy figuring out their purpose during mid-pandemic and how to cope with finding each one's purpose, I decided to go and give baking a try. Not to mention, I am also still trying to experiment with my own cooking. I am a big donut lover and Filipino people usually include donut in different occasions, but most of the time as merienda or snack. That's why I have concluded that I want to start my donut business from home.
Originally got inspired after I made this Philippine Independence Day inspired donuts
June 2020

Getting Started

First, I went through my Instagram and Pinterest on how should I want my donuts to look like and after I have decided on its design or "potential" flavors, I went to YouTube to look for recipes to try. I listed the most commonly used ingredients that people have mentioned in various videos, and paid attention to the equipment that they used which I could probably find at home or at my local hypermarket.

Since I wanted it to be unique, I made different flavors and tried to match the taste of the bread itself and the topping if the taste will complement with each other. I also joined various groups on Facebook that shares their own different donut recipes.

I have probably tested making the typical donut that has a hole in the middle or none at all for about 10x. Making the dough is actually hard as it is my 1st time to actually make a donut from scratch and not from the ready mix box that you can grab at the baking aisle.



There were a bunch of times that I get discouraged but even some people from the donut group that I joined were nice enough to leave a message on my donut trial post. Even my family and friends on Facebook were supportive every time I post an update about my donut journey or what I see it that time as my 'frustration'

photo 2 : Trial is not failure but it's another idea you'll learn, keep on baking molly just enjoy, things will turn up side down -Dave Gruta

After so many tries, I have finally decided on what recipe I will be using for starting my donut business at home. I then proceeded to compute the cost and how much will I be selling a dozen and how much will I profit from it, adding in the time and ingredients that will be put and used.


I have finally made the desired look and taste of the donut that I wanted. I called it "Cheesy Milky Donuts" and is being sold for a dozen and 24 pcs.

Opening Time

By this point, I am now figuring out who will be my target market. Since it is considered as a perishable good, it would be best for me to sell it around our village or within our city. Though booking a ride from point A to point B (to another city) has been thought-out, I personally think that the ones that I make is best consumed right after it's fresh from the oven. As I have also experienced a repeat customer having to taste the fresh from the oven versus an hour after it was baked.

I then started to post it to various groups around my neighborhood and city, competition were still tough at that point as some people are reselling donuts and different kinds of pastries as well were being sold in bulk.

But that didn't stopped me from posting till I got some customers.

How To Run It

With the support of my family and friends, I was able to get more reach and sales through word of mouth. Even my neighbors started buying, I remembered a whole street where my late Father's friend lives, shared to everyone that I am selling cheesy milky donuts and they all wanted a taste and bought dozens. 

As a self proclaimed introvert, I prefer being loud on social media than in person when it comes to marketing them, not to mention there's also an on-going pandemic. Having an audience on social media or being present at least has made sharing my donuts easier, as home cooked meals being delivered at your door step started.

Being active and sharing it will really get you sales as small businesses that started from home begins to arise.

My Format to my posts:
Product and Price  -
Location  -
Mode of Payment  -
Mode of Delivery  -
Discount (PWD/Senior) if applies  -

Some of my Customers' Reviews



Lastly, if some of you may ask and is still wondering if you should start your donut business at home. Is it profitable? Yes and no, because for me it really depends on how will you market your service/food/product because in every business it is always gonna be like that. At the end of the day you have to have grit if you want to achieve something may it be for the sales to sky rocket or for your brand to be known. But if you really do have the will and act on it and people love the taste of what you have made, surely, indeed  it is gonna be profitable.

Comments

Popular Posts