Happy World Book Day 2022!!

 


   First of all, I want to greet everyone happy world book day! To be honest, it's been a year since I finished a book. I know it sounds crazy, being on a reading slump for that long right? 
I love books, ever since I was a kid not only did flipping pages to go over the next chapter and find out what happens gives me the adrenaline but knowing how it progresses and controlling my pace is very different from knowing a story by watching a film.

Back then I used to read books like Dork Diaries and Diary of a Wimpy Kid. It was so hyped, together with Geronimo Stilton, Oh! don't get me started on how many volumes there are back then, more likely how about know? I'm not even sure if they still continue on publishing it. Books I've mentioned above can be quite pricey depending on: where you buy them and what type you're buying (is it a paperback or a hardbound).

Till time passes by and I received a gift from my aunt. A book that is, I believe a Percy Jackson book. Right when I read the first 6 pages I started to get confused with some of the words being used that I had to have a dictionary beside me to look for its meaning. Internet back then wasn't that advanced to what we have now and touch phone screens are still on the testing stage, not long till Apple released it's first ever iPhone. This was probably also the time they are releasing different Harry Potter books and movies that cultivated all the potter heads. And so I thought, maybe I wouldn't be able to relate... reading a fantasy literature drama if I hadn't even survive that one Percy Jackson book, how am I supposed to handle this. Added to my young self's dilemma is where do I search for all the volumes of Harry Potter to watch/read in order (then again, internet wasn't that much of a big thing that time) 

My phone that I use just to play the game 'snakes' is a Nokia - I couldn't find a photo similar to what we used to have but it was tiny, very cute and durable! That was during my diary of a wimpy kid ready days. Till I got an LG phone which I loved. I used to take photos and videos of our shih tzu and me rollerblading inside our house using this. (This was the closest photo I could find - though the arrows of my phone were color white). Having this phone is awesome too, being able to sneak it with me in class and be able to text my dad, mom and brother when it's already dismissal time. Going back to the point, this technology was useful but it can't search the words that I needed to know.


photo credits to superekart 

WIFI's are usually located at a restaurant and having a a mere connection to the internet was only limited to having a usb internet stick. Being able to connect to the internet for research back then was a really big thing and I would definitely give those minutes to my Mom instead for her to write her email on Yahoo, or for my brother to search for the full copy of his "El Filibusterismo"

Back to talking about books, I'm not really that much of a fan of romance fiction books then, that's why sometimes I can't relate to my classmates in high school when there's a new book release. I don't know if the problem is with my attention span or having to explore other hobbies were my main focus and the only book that I prefer reading are my notes and textbooks (Science and MAPEH books to be exact). Which I would gladly be focusing some of my hours on. Weird how we may all think that being in high school and being involved in all sorts of extra curricular activities didn't drain us that much, unlike when were already in college, or even after that and so on.

When I took my first course in college which is Psychology, I began skimming through books in the library revolving about the topic but had never finished one. Then came film school, I am most interested in film production management and our library has a whole aisle dedicated to film. Looking for templates of call sheets and other letters I would be needing is on this specific book that I always gets my hands on, but have never borrowed, don't know why too. But in this case, internet has grown massively that going to the library is too much work. Looking for pegs and mockups has been easier too. Having it being evolved, it definitely changed not only mine but observing other students in my school, sadly most are reliant to the internet for information.

Staying in film school throughout my college life, most general education subjects are the ones to give out some short stories to read and learn from. But in film, not that common since it's more of visual learning. But at times and in some specific subjects, reading long scripts is a must of course but having a movie critique subject could also send us film students to the library to read a chapter or two. But in all honesty, I've never finished a book during my stay in film school. Film/ Non-film - sadly, no. Reading on the internet has been a part of me then.

Still nothing beats an old school way of  discovering stories. But then again, it will always come to down to the person as it varies from one to the other. 

Going on a book sale is fun, did it probably twice. One is for when I was a content creator and had to cover an event. The other one is when one of my college best friends went with me and lowkey splurged on some books we fancy during that time. Spoiler alert! That was actually the last public event we ever went to before the pandemic began. If you want to read more about it here's a link Big Bad Wolf 2020

Coming out from the rut, I saw a book from Walmart that got me curious and had to go back a few times till I have decided to buy it. Fell in love with the book and eventually jumpstart my reading journey once again.

I want to dive into reading once again and explore non fiction books and get into reading fiction books. Realizing after I finished my 1st read of 2022, sitting down, having a break from every screen that I can hold on to is good and feeling unbothered and just diving into a very good book can give you that sense of freedom and the fact that you can imagine the book in to your own liking.

Thinking about the Percy Jackson book that I got when I was a kid, I realized I shouldn't have been hard of myself and if I were to talk back to myself that slowly faded from being a book lover to not reading any books at all because of not understanding it is okay.

It's a process and I am still quite testing the book for me. If you're like me whose still waiting for the right moment or the motivation to start reading a book, try doing it gradually and start by 5 mins. You wouldn't even notice that you've been holding to that dear book for hours and can't let go if it.

There's no such thing as not having any book for you, you just haven't found the right book for you yet.


# of finished books as of 3/3/22 : 2

There's always a way, and we'll get there. Happy World Book Day 2022!!

Comments

Popular Posts